Rhetorical Analysis

For my rhetorical text I created in part 2, I choose to create my own argument. The argument I came up with is why it is important to be able to speak multiple languages and not just English. I wanted to create my rhetorical text on this argument because I personally think that it is an important and beneficial skill to have. If you are applying to jobs and making a resume, having the skill of speaking different languages whether it be 2,3, or maybe even 5 would make your resume look good and make you yourself look like an ideal employee to the job you applied for. Not only did my opinion lead me to choosing and coming up with this argument, but my family also reminds me of how it is important to know different languages.

My intended audience is people who only know how to speak and understand English fluently. I choose these people as my intended audience to try and persuade or get them interested in learning a new language (or multiple) and how they can be helpful to others. The genre I selected was a This or That poster, and it would most likely be seen around office bulletin boards or in school bulletin boards as well. I choose to make a poster because I thought it was a fun and entertaining way to show my argument and grasp the attention of my audience. One rhetorical appeal I purposely focused on in my rhetorical text is Pathos. By pointing out the fact that you can be able to help people in need of assistance who speak another language and won’t be able to do this if you only know English, I wanted the audience to feel like “Wow maybe I should learn another language so I can help people out” and in a way feel bad for themselves not knowing how to speak another language besides English. By using this strategy, I am appealing to the audience’s emotion of anxiety of not knowing a different language as well as acceptance of that language and acceptance of ways to help. This appeals to pathos because I am trying to reach out to the audience through their emotion and in a way feel sad about them not knowing any other language. Another rhetorical strategy I purposely incorporated in my rhetorical text is repetition. By repeating the first parts of the sentence of the first column, it makes my point clear to the audience on what the poster is about and what I’m trying to get out to them. This strategy appeals to my audience because I want my audience to understand my argument in my poster and take the message with them when they finish reading the poster.